Friday, March 8, 2013

Easiest Tehri Recipe


There was a time, not many decades back, when I didn’t even know in which direction to rotate the knob of the gas cylinder to light the oven. Yea whatever you call it my inability or lack of interest for the divine art of cooking, I used to use it as a marker for manliness… just like retro-sexual men think that men don’t dance I also blindly believed men don’t cook either. But time passed, air changed, global warming took its visible shape and along with them I too learnt how to cook food! By ‘cooking’ I simply understand of a process that makes raw substances easily digestible to stomach and less denying to tongue. Eh you think I’m still in the stone-age? Yes I’m right there when it comes to cooking and I’m happy to strike my stones and roast the hunted flesh. Today I got a golden opportunity to share one of the most basic Tehri recipe that doesn’t break the bones of lazy Tom and doesn’t take a lifetime to get prepared. I call it ‘Pankajua Pulao’ and the reason is none other than my colleague Dr Pankaj… well let’s not go off-topic and let me show you what else I can make other than two-minutes-noodles or bread-omelette.

What you’ll need:-
-          Rice (2 teacups)
-          Bay leaf (2-3)
-          Cumin Seeds (1 teaspoonful)
-          Add vegetables (small cut) as per your choice & availability like potato, carrot, bean, capsicum etc
-          Onion (1-2 depending on size)
-          Green chilli (3-4 as per your affinity)
-          Tomato (1-2)
-          Coriander powder (leaves would be preferable but mostly I’m out of stock)
-          Dry fruits like Badam (optional)
-          Garam masala (1 teaspoonful)
-          Turmeric powder (1 teaspoonful)
-          Chilli powder (1/2 teaspoonful)
-          Oil (3 tablespoonful)/desi ghee
-          Water (3-4 teacups)
-          Salt

What you’ll do:-
Wash rice and keep it soaked in water for 10-15 minutes. Add oil/desi ghee onto the open pressure cooker and heat it. Add cumin seeds to it followed by bay leaves. When the oil gets furious, add onion and fry it till it takes up golden colour. Then add tomato, green chillies and fry for few more minutes. Add vegetables, dry fruits, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, rice, salt and water. Close the lid of the pressure cooker now and let it blow two whistles. Now your Tehri is ready in less than thirty minutes and you can enjoy it with Dahi or some Chatni of your choice!


2 comments:

Thank You for Reading, Reflecting and Reverting back!