Monday, April 1, 2013

An April Fools’ Day


Be proud my son for we have the world’s largest democracy-
I put down my bifocals to add spontaneity in my narration…
“Doesn’t that confer me with the right to close my civics book?”
My teenager hates any political wisdom like every second youth!

No you’ve to digest the representative democracy before you go,
I got desperate to spoon-feed the pending course of his exam;
See it’s like you’re the house captain voted by your house members
So, you’ll put forward all their demands before the school authority…

“House captaining is just fooling around, give me better examples…
Oh I completely missed it Dad… today it is April Fools’ Day eh?”

I cleared my throat twice… thrice… and then put on my specs back-
Huh so what business does it have with your civics lesson…?
Surprisingly those angry words lacked in conviction
Which I could make out in my boy’s eyes!

Closing the book I gave him a smile-
Perhaps you’ll criticize it as ‘fatherly hint to play the fool’
But honestly, I couldn’t suspend his fundamental right
To fool or be fooled, just for a petty April Fools’ Day.

- Anunoy Samanta

(Written for NaPoWriMo 2013 - 30 Poems in 30 Days challenge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Reading, Reflecting and Reverting back!