Sunday, December 9, 2012

Qutub Minar - a World Heritage Site


At the end of October I had been to Delhi… not for experiencing the onset of winter… strictly for some official reason. I was in real hurry to finish up my work there and not to get into any Delhi belly as I had already over-exploited my Durgapuja leave and badly needed to resume my duty as soon as possible. I usually depend on my mobile calendar but it betrayed me for the first time… I reached Delhi on a national holiday with Sunday as the next day! The sheer frustration from the idea that I’ve to waste two nights in a hotel with nothing fancy to do kept me encaged in my hotel room at Greenpark for the whole day. I tried to be more rational and searched the contact number of Delhi tourism from internet with the intention of using the following day for Delhi Darshan but luck didn’t favour this brave once again… the lady regretted politely, “Sorry Sir, all the seats are already booked for tomorrow”. HoHo bus was another option I could opt for but I was actually lacking the traveller’s spirit due to my pending work, so, settled with some leisurely walk. Late risers are always deprived of good photographic opportunities… I took a kilometre of auto-rickshaw ride from Qutub Minar metro station only to find endless Sunday-crowd and an ‘almost overhead’ sun dominated World Heritage Site …




Well, I’m not much into historical facts and all but there’s no harm in reading at least those few lines inscribed on marbles exclusively or tourists. You may google search for more detailed information but here I’ll summarise the historical background of Qutub Minar. Qutub Minar, the tallest stone tower in India, now a World Heritage Site, splendid demonstration of Indo-Islamic Afghan architecture was conceived by Qutbuddin Aibak towards the end of the twelfth century. The variegated plans of its three lower storeys, the projecting balconies with beautiful stalactite pendentives brackets and ornate bands of inscriptions on its facades heighten its decorative charm. Qutub Minar has a diameter of 46 feet at its base and 9 feet at its top. With a height of 238 feet and 379 steps, although Qutub Minar is the highest stone Minar in India, it’s amazing to know that its height is 5 feet less than that of Taj Mahal.



Noon time stroll inside the Qutub complex stole my travelling gusto very soon. I remembered that I didn’t take any breakfast… I was thirsty too and can’t recall how many glasses of lemon-soda I had gulped. Oh I forgot to mention an unpleasing scene inside the Qutub complex. A western lady was repeatedly being requested to pose with them for photos by a group of Desi guys whose intentions I better not write. I think I don’t have to describe the outfit of the lady (you’ve got it from the craving of those brats right?) and I couldn’t solve the puzzle why she was agreeing to pose several times with those ‘face speaks it all’ strangers… or, was it courtesy of a co-tourist? Anyway I repented for visiting so late and getting all over exposed shots under the rowdy sun and my repentance reached its peak when I discovered that Saket metro station was closer to the Qutub Minar complex than the metro station with the same name! Before I returned back to Greenpark, I wishlisted another visit to Qutub Minar in my next Delhi trip…

12 comments:

  1. Tough luck! Hope you get ti revisit!

    Some of the pics are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only have the photos come out very well, your narration is also engrossing!!

    www.anucreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, to sharing the excellent images and information of Qutub Minar. It's, the tallest stone tower in India. It is a World Historical part and has live through the problems of time amazingly. The Minar of Delhi is surrounded by a lush green garden, which is an perfect relaxing place for guests. It is the more favorite destination of tourists. It is India's most visited monument attracting around 3.9 million visitors every year. SWOT Analysis Report

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sights are so incredible, I really like visiting all over the environment so much that is why I find travel agents that was acquiring a remarkable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the post! Get the Best Online Bus Tickets Reservation Services in all over India in one step with Ticketgoose. TicketGoose is not only providing the Online Ticket Booking Services, it is providing services like what are the places to visit in each and every state. We had Travel agents to contact in each area for all states.
    Bus Tickets

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this post. I am looking for cheap summer holidays. Would India be one of those countries you could call budget friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great blog for Delhi Tourism.
    yes, Qutub minar is a world heritage in Delhi(India). To get overall detail about must visit tourist places in Delhi(india). than please visit on
    Delhi tour package

    ReplyDelete
  10. You gave nice ideas here. I done a research on the issue and learn most peoples will agree with your blog.

    sightseeing delhi & Cycling Tours India

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Reading, Reflecting and Reverting back!